Here at Dr John Souglides Hypnotherapy, I know just how debilitating depression is and if you, or someone you know, has been suffering with it for a while, it’s likely you’ll have been searching hard for answers and for a solution.
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders describes depression as a “state of low mood and aversion to activity that that can affect a person's thoughts, behaviour, feelings and self of well-being.”
Depression is directly linked to your sense of self-worth and it’s often driven by the misguided belief that you’re not ‘good enough’. Depression can often be a subconscious shut-down, in essence the body’s way of protecting you from further emotional pain and it can also be repressed anger and the subconscious mind’s way of ‘shouting’ at you, telling you there are unresolved emotional issues that require your attention.
If you feel you are suffering from depression it is vital to seek help. Your first port of call should be your G.P who will assess you. With the correct diagnosis, treatment and ongoing support most depressed individuals can look forward to a full recovery.
Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapy can help in this recovery.
Check list if you depressed
Depression can strike indiscriminately, regardless of age, race, wealth or status. Someone that seemingly has everything to live for can be just as much a victim of depression as someone who has lost everything and is living on the streets.
If you suffer from any of the following, then you may be depressed:
- Feeling hopeless and helpless
- You’ve lost interest in life, friends, activities in things you use to enjoy
- Your sleep and appetite fluctuate
- You feel tired / exhausted all the time
- You can’t concentrate
- Things you could do before that were easy / comfortable are now an effort to do
- You can’t control your negative thoughts
- You more irritable, aggressive, short-tempered more than before or it is something new
- You drink more alcohol than usual or engaging in reckless behaviour, more daring
- Appetite / weight loss or gain – fluctuations in eating habits and desire for more comfort eating.
- Low to loss of energy – no energy to perform things and do things, doing anything seem too much.
- Fear, guilt, emotional overdrive
- Reckless behaviour – dare devil type, moody, substance abuse, compulsive behaviour.
- Self-loathing – intense feelings of worthlessness, guilt, harshly criticising self.
How can I Help?
When using hypnosis, I work with you to understand the belief structures that sit behind your depression and then use the treatment sessions to clear and dismantle those beliefs at a subconscious level, working to undo the mental blockages that are preventing you from moving forward.
One of the most difficult and challenging symptoms of depression is the belief that it is permanent or incurable, feelings that bring with them a sense of hopelessness and despair.
In fact, the reverse is true, and I’ve worked with a great many people who have gone on to lead happy and fulfilling lives despite believing fervently that that wouldn’t be possible when they attended their first hypnotherapy for depression treatment with us.
My treatments also allow you to make changes to the way you think, which in turn brings positive changes in behaviours. Using a combination of hypnosis, hypnotherapy and Neuro Linguistic Programming (N.L.P) Dr John Souglides can help you begin to open the doors of the depression prison and let in the light so that you have the strength, confidence and courage to move forward at your own pace.